The mission of the California Student Sustainability Coalition is to unite and empower California’s community of higher education to collaboratively and nonviolently transform our selves and our institutions based on our inherent social, economic, and ecological responsibilities.
To Integrate Sustainability into California
To integrate the vision and values of sustainability into the mission and actions of California, starting with its Higher Education institutions.
- Place high emphasis on developing leadership and modeling change in the University of California
- Support student sustainability action at California State Universities, Community Colleges, and private schools
- Actively initiate, draft, and lobby for institutional and public policies
- Cultivate relationships with state and system-wide decision makers, as well as potential advisors and experts.
- Work to get students placed on key committees and working groups
To Be A Voice for Sustainability
To be a voice for sustainability throughout California and beyond.
- Participate in local, regional, statewide, national, and global initiatives
- Partner with external organizations when necessary and appropriate
- Network and share resources
- Send representatives to key events
To Maintain Statewide Leadership
To maintain dynamic and adaptable statewide leadership bodies that effectively channel grass-roots collaboration into collective action.
- Establish, support, and grow campus chapters and campaigns
- Acquaint all CSSC members with founding documents and the structure of the coalition
- Generate resources to empower all aspects of the coalition
- Build organizational capacity for and facilitate communication amongst coalition campaigns, committees, and projects
- Generate strong and successful internal and external communication strategies
- Model sustainability throughout our organizational culture and encourage individuals to model sustainability in their own lives and work.
To Nurture Young Leaders
To network, build the skills, and provide opportunities for the development of young leaders
- Create space to train and transition new leaders
- Develop the skills of individuals and capacity of campaigns, committees, and projects
- Provide and promote jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities
- Create and maintain an alumni directory to strengthen individual and institutional relationships
To Evaluate & Celebrate
- Evaluate and celebrate actions at completion
- Evaluate and celebrate individual and organization accomplishments semi-annually
- Evaluate our core principles, mission statement, and objectives annually
- Revisit and evolve our vision annually
- Celebrate life in everything we do!
Our principles are adapted from the Earth Charter. The Earth Charter is the most comprehensive values statement on the planet, a product of more than five years of global consensus building representing every continent and all walks of life.
Respect and Care for the Community of Life
- Respect Earth and life in all its diversity, recognizing that all beings are interdependent and that all life has value.
- Care for the community of life with understanding, compassion and love.
- Build democratic societies that are sustainable, just, participatory, and peaceful.Secure Earth’s bounty and beauty for present and future generations.
- Protect and restore natural systems that sustain life.
- Prevent environmental harm and apply a precautionary approach where knowledge is limited.
- Adopt patterns of production, consumption, and reproduction that safeguard Earth’s regenerative capacities.
- Environmental quality, economic health, and social equality are all mutually dependent.
Social and Economic Justice
- Advance the study of sustainability and promote the open exchange and wide application of the knowledge acquired.
- Eradicate poverty as an ethical, social, and environmental imperative.
- Ensure that economic institutions of all levels promote human development in an equitable and sustainable manner.
- Affirm equality and equity as prerequisites to sustainable development and ensure universal access to education, health care, and economic opportunity.
- Uphold the rights of all to a natural and social environment supportive of human dignity, bodily health, and spiritual well-being.
Democracy, Nonviolence, Peace
- Strengthen democracy at all levels and provide transparency, accountability, and access to decision-making.
- Integrate into formal education and life-long learning the knowledge, values, and skills needed for a sustainable way of life.
- Treat all living beings with respect and consideration.
- Promote a culture of tolerance, nonviolence, and peace.
- Change the world by changing yourself