The California Student Sustainability Coalition, a project of the Earth Island Institute, is hiring a Bookkeeper to organize and maintain CSSC’s financial documents.
The following activities draw from current operations and are subject to change depending on the organization’s growth and development. The Bookkeeper works in coordination with the Finance Committee.
- Maintain and update CSSC’s finances on a weekly basis, including donations and grants transactions.
- Process financial transactions: Check requests, reimbursements, invoices, and deposits; consistency and timeliness is critical.
- Cross-reference official account reports with our bookkeeping records: Our fiscal sponsor holds our accounts and sends us an account report detailing our cash flow, remaining balance, and general ledger. The Bookkeeper must be cross-referenced with our own records to ensure there are no discrepancies
- Assist with operating budgets: help develop and maintain CSSC’s annual budget and campaign allocations to ensure financial fidelity and reporting accuracy.
- The Bookkeeper will report directly to the supervisor(s) and provide a weekly progress log.
- Bookkeeper will be expected to participate in Finance Committee calls every other week.
- The Bookkeeper will generate monthly reports for the Board of Advisors, with details on all budgets, donations, and grant activity. Current totals, monthly transactions per category, and yearly transactions per category should all be included in the monthly report.
- Create finance reports at the end of every fiscal year.
- All staff are expected to submit an exit report at the end of their tenure with CSSC.
- A background in bookkeeping or money management is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel is required.
- Experience in student leadership/training programs, climate justice campaigns, and social justice efforts is strongly preferred.
- Understanding of equity and social justice is required. You must be able to communicate with a broad range of people and institutions confidently and effectively, with a critical analysis of power, privilege, race, class and gender.
- Strategic thinking and an “opportunity mindset” is required. You will need to identify possibilities and navigate complex funding and movement landscapes. Diplomatic skills and good judgement are required.
- Experience in self-management and remote-working is strongly preferred.
The Bookkeeper is considered a part-time temporary staff position, and is eligible for academic internship credit or transcript notation, depending on the needs of the applicant. This position’s responsibilities can be fulfilled remotely from any location in California, and the selected candidate will be expected to have reliable access to internet and a phone. This position also requires travel to overnight leadership retreats and events up to four times each year.
Starting pay begins at $15/hr. Health insurance is not offered for this position. Vacation and sick time is negotiable through communication with the supervisor. We are committed to the personal and professional growth of all staff.
Application Process and Timeline
Position is open until filled. Applicant review will begin 11/8/2017.
Please send cover letter and resume to Lauren Jabusch at email@example.com.
The California Student Sustainability Coalition is a project of the Earth Island Institute.
The Earth Island Institute is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, low-income persons, LGBT persons, differently-abled people, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.