The California Student Sustainability Coalition, a project of the Earth Island Institute, is hiring an Event Director to oversee the production of various conference-style events focused on engaging and training members in campaign strategy and campaign crafting.
Event Director Activities
The following activities draw from current operations and are subject to change depending on the organization’s growth and development.
Application and Site Selection
- Create a proposal and evaluation process for selecting the host campus and on-site Spark Event Coordinator(s), with guidance from supervisor(s) and past convergence coordinators.
- Coordinate the selection process with representation from CSSC membership and the Board of Advisors.
- Update and maintain the CSSC Event Handbook for distribution to the on-site event team.
- Write contracts with the host campus and partnering organization for the event under the supervision of the Board of Advisors and Earth Island Institute.
- Plan the Spark Event vision and scope in conjunction with the Spark Event Coordinator(s), campus-based host team, and CSSC staff.
- The Event Director will report directly to the supervisor(s) and provide a weekly progress log.
- The Event Director is responsible for collating campus proposals and submitting them to the supervisor(s).
- Submit an up-to-date event timeline and plan to the supervisor(s), three months prior to the Spark Event.
- Submit an evaluation and summary of the event, including problems and recommended changes, to the supervisor(s) two weeks after the Spark Event.
- Update the CSSC Event Handbook, prior to the next event.
- All staff are expected to submit an exit report at the end of their tenure with CSSC.
- Experience in event coordination is required. Experience in student leadership/training programs, climate justice campaigns, and social justice efforts is strongly preferred.
- Understanding of equity and social justice is required. You must be able to communicate with a broad range of people and institutions confidently and effectively, with a critical analysis of power, privilege, race, class and gender.
- Strategic thinking and an “opportunity mindset” is required. You will need to identify possibilities and navigate complex funding and movement landscapes. Diplomatic skills and good judgement are required.
- Experience in self-management and remote-working is strongly preferred.
The Event Director is considered a part-time temporary staff position, and is eligible for academic internship credit or transcript notation, depending on the needs of the applicant. This position’s responsibilities can be fulfilled remotely from any location in California, and the selected candidate will be expected to have reliable access to internet and a phone.
The Event Director should be prepared to travel to the site of event(s) at least once prior to the event, and should also be onsite at least one day prior, during, and after events. Additionally, this position requires travel to overnight leadership retreats up to two times per year.
Starting pay begins at $15/hr. Health insurance is not offered for this position. Vacation and sick time is negotiable through communication with the supervisor. We are committed to the personal and professional growth of all staff.
Application Process and Timeline
Position is open until filled. Applicant review will begin 11/8/2017.
Please send cover letter and resume to Lauren Jabusch at email@example.com.
The California Student Sustainability Coalition is a project of the Earth Island Institute.
The Earth Island Institute is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, low-income persons, LGBT persons, differently-abled people, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.