Happy New Year from CSSC!
2013 was quite an exciting year.
In the last 12 months, our students mobilized to divest their campus institution’s endowments from the fossil fuel industry; organized and defended their communities from fracking; and joined thousands of students in Pittsburgh, PA in pushing to stop the disproportionate impact of climate change on marginalized communities.
Being a student run organization, we need your support to continue our work in the new year.
Your gift will enable students from across California to continue working on solutions to some of the most important challenges we face today.
As a student, alumnus, friend, family member, and/or community ally, your on-going support means everything to us. By supporting CSSC, you directly invest in the education and training of our students.
Our New Years Resolutions
Stop the poisoning of our communities and planet by divesting from fossil fuels, reinvesting in communities and clean tech alternatives, and blocking disastrous hydraulic fracturing.
- Fossil Free | Divest our universities’ endowments from fossil fuel holdings and re-invest in our communities and in socially responsible portfolios.
- Students Against Fracking | Stop the fracking industry from destroying our communities by expanding our student mobilization efforts across the state.
Train and empower students to become sustainability-focused organizers, researchers, entrepreneurs, and community members.
- Courses and Co-Curricular Activities for Equity, Economy, and the Environment | Launch courses that link students, faculty, alumni, and civil society for public talks and dialogue around collective action while expanding leadership and activist training for students.
- Convergences and Leadership Retreats | Provide student-led education and training focused on sharing best practices and setting the vision for sustainability activism across the state.
A Quick Recap of 2013
• 11 student governments and 1 faculty senate have voted in favor of divesting their institutions’ endowments from fossil fuels and 2 community college districts and 1 CSU have voted to divest!
• Over 225 students attended Power Shift in October.
• Over 500 students attended the Spring Convergence at UC Berkeley and Fall Convergence at Humboldt State University.
• Students have joined Californians Against Fracking by forming Students Against Fracking chapters.
- You can always check out our blog to read about what CSSC students have been up to across the state.
On behalf of the CSSC we thank you for your support and Happy New Year!